Sunday 20 September 2015

GUEST POST: Confessions of my Past, Present and Future #10 - The Sisters of Slaughter - Michelle Garza & Melissa Lason

Before you start reading this wonderful piece by the Sisters of Slaughter, I would like to do something never before done on Confessions of a Reviewer but, I feel that this is the right thing to do at this time.

On September 3rd 2015, Melissa’s father in law and her husband Chris’s dad, Garry Lason, very sadly passed away at the still young age of 66.

Living in the UK, I never had the privilege of meeting Garry and after reading many of the posts on Chris’s Facebook feed, I feel I have missed out on meeting on a truly wonderful man.

Garry was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and raised in Newark, New Jersey. After high school, Garry enlisted in the United States Marine Corps serving proudly for over 10 years before receiving an honorable discharge. In 1974, he married the love of his life Linda and they had six children.

After his discharge from the Marine Corps, (and his abduction by aliens), Garry worked in the sales industry. Garry enjoyed spending time with his family, watching Sci-Fi/animal shows, drawing, and making everyone laugh.

A selfless individual, Garry was known to always help those in need and put others first. Everyone enjoyed the abundant feasts that Garry prepared, the crazy stories Garry told, as well as the Bible Study group he led for many years.

Garry is survived by his wife, three sons, three daughters, three grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.

Again, from what I have read over this past couple of weeks, Garry was a wonderful husband, father and grandfather and a true inspiration to anyone that was lucky enough to meet him.

I also know from speaking to Melissa that Garry was extremely proud of the fact that herself and Michelle have realised their dream of becoming published authors.

On a personal note, I would like to offer my condolences to Chris, Melissa, little Kahlan and the entire family circle. I’m sure everyone who visits Confessions of a Reviewer would also like to offer their love and support over the coming months and offer any help we can.

One way you can help out is to donate to The American Heart Association, a charity the family would like to help out in Garry’s memory. Anything you can, be it a few cents or a few pennies. It all helps and you can make sure your donation is allocated against Garry's name.

Thanks.


This post is proudly dedicated to the memory of Garry Lason.




R.I.P. Garry, may the force be with you!



Confessions of my Past, Present and Future


by

The Sisters of Slaughter

Michelle Garza and Melissa Lason


The Past


Michelle

When I look back and think about books from my past that really stuck with me I always remember one in particular. I recall first seeing the cover and thinking that I absolutely had to find out what it was about. That book was Dunc’s Halloween by Gary Paulsen. I was about ten years old and a total freak for monsters. Werewolves were always my favorite, and still are. My eyes beheld this book cover. It was really creepy to me as a little girl, depicting two boys trapped in a tree by a snarling werewolf beneath. I scanned the description and my heart swelled. It was about a boy that gets bitten by a werewolf while out on Halloween.

Halloween was and is my favorite holiday. My sister and I begged our mother to buy it, promising to behave for the rest of our lives, swore to go to school every day and get good grades etc. She caved and we got to take the marvellous book home. We shared the privilege of holding it on the drive home. When we finally got to our house the ritual began. My sister and I climbed to the top of our bunk beds and waited. We could read just fine but we always loved to have our big brother read to us, he added a lot to the story with his voice acting. He happily read it out loud to us. It is one of those memories that will never leave me.




Melissa


When it comes to my past reading I will have to mention the Goosebumps series. It may sound funny but to a young kid those tales of creatures and monsters really got to me, made me think of being a writer. They were funny, scary, creepy, and all the things a horror kid could want.

We couldn’t wait to go to the store with our mom. She would shop while we picked out a new tale of kiddy horror. I can remember hanging out with my sister, Michelle, and really enjoying all of the silly creepiness. We even began writing at an early age because of such inspiration.





The Present


Michelle


My present reading has consisted of a few fantastic authors. My brother in metal and all things lycanthropic, Toneye Eyenot, his book The Scarlett Curse just came out. It’s a dark fantasy tale that I found really impressive. David Bernstein’s Witch Island was really fantastic and you can NEVER go wrong with Adam Cesare. Adam’s Mercy House is next on my list to read.

I have had the pleasure of reading the Trent Gunner stories by my good friend Craig Mullins. He also penned Re-Animated States of America, a collection of stories that will blow you away if you dig Lovecraft.




Melissa


More recently I have enjoyed a lot of work from different authors. There is the work of Ronald Kelly that has always inspired me with the natural genius of his writing, it seems so effortless yet his talent cannot be matched. I would like to note that I also have a few other books that I just love and reread from time to time. Most notably is Moonbane by Al Sarrantonio. It’s such an awesome take on werewolves. It’s one that I will always recommend to any wolf lovers.

I’m also really into the dark fantasy side of reading. I love all of R.A. Salvatore books. I have been a fan for a very long time and will always keep up with the adventures of Drizzt Do’Urden.





The Future


Michelle


My future will definitely involve horror and dark fantasy. My twin sister and I are writing a manuscript that is a very dark fantasy, incorporating straight up horror into it. Horror has been a major part of my entire life and that isn’t going to stop. It started as a child when my mother would watch those old black and white classics, my father would tell us ghost stories. I hope that I can pass the horror addiction to my own kids.

Thirty years from now I would like to be able to look back on my writing and know that my stories touched people, inspired them, broke their hearts or gave them nightmares. I have been writing since I was eight years old. It’s what keeps me sane, though at times I feel like I’m going completely mad trying to get it all out of my brain. The horror community is a really awesome group of people. I have made friends all over the world that share in my love of the macabre, including one across the pond by the name of Nev, and I hope to keep putting out tales that they enjoy for many years to come.


Melissa


As for my future…I plan on continuing to write and read all things horror. I hope to keep putting out more horror stories. I would also love to release some dark fantasy as well. I find horror and fantasy to be my true outlets and that’s not going to change. I want to be a part of the writing world for the rest of my days. I have made so many new friends. It really has been a joy meeting new folks and I plan to continue this journey. Thanks to my friend, Nev Murray for including me in this awesome blog. I’m both excited to know him and excited to see where the future takes him as well.





If you would like to help support Confessions of a Reviewer then please consider using the links below to buy any of the books mentioned in this feature or indeed anything at all from Amazon. This not only supports me but also lets me know how many people actually like to buy books after reading my reviews.

Thanks.



Melissa Lason and Michelle Garza have been writing together since they were little girls. Dubbed The Sisters of Slaughter by the editors of Fireside Press. They are constantly working together on new stories in the horror and dark fantasy genres. Their work has been included in Wishful Thinking by Fireside Press, Widowmakers a benefit anthology of dark fiction and the Poetry showcase volume one put out by the HWA. They are very excited to have a story chosen by Sinister Grin Press to be included in an upcoming anthology called Fresh Meat. They will also be in Rejected For Content 3 by JEA.

Michelle is honored to have a short story that will be included in a Male vs. Female horror anthology that is being released soon by JEA as well. More madness will soon be announced so stay tuned.

Melissa is married and has a daughter. Michelle is married and has two little boys. They dwell in the scorched deserts of Arizona. Please visit them on Facebook and join in the horror shenanigans.

And for more about Michelle and Melissa follow them on their Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Hail the sisters of slaughter. Hail Nev Murray also!

    Adrian Shotbolt. Lord of the darkness down under.

    ReplyDelete